If you don’t hit the links, you will not learn much.
Correction made on bill numbers in the copy below and the headline: 7:40 PM, Feb 10. My fault. I apologize for the typos.
Note to all concerned: The model language for HB 60 & HB 999 came from the Federation for Children. The flyers attacking Republicans who didn’t immediately swoon and support the bills came from…the Federation for Children.
Info on HB 120 here.
Related: A Breitbart news report on the entire train wreck: Georgia Republicans draft legal giveaways to illegals.
The Coalition of Refugee Services (CRSA) put on a large lobbying event in the Georgia Capitol today for HB 932 & HB 120. It was also available online. CRSA is part of the “BIG” partnership and works closely with the Georgia Chamber of Commerce.*
HB 932 is a product of a special House committee chaired by Rep Wes Cantrell
A “Progressive” woman named Darlene C. Lynch works for both CRSA and the “BIG Partnership” and organized and ran the Georgia House Special Committee “Innovative ways to Maximize Global Talent” that saw three 2021 Summer and Fall meetings – with two in Georgia’s public colleges. HB 932 is a product of those committee hearings. The special committee was created by a resolution that passed unanimously in the House at the end of the 2021 session. Rep Wes Cantrell was the sponsor of the resolution (be sure to see all cosponsors) and served as the chairman of the agenda-driven committee that took zero pubic comment and arranged the witnesses.
*Updated, 5:25: PM Some of the agenda items from the hand-picked, pre-screened witnesses at the special committee mentioned above:
- Changing state law so as to allow foreigners to be law enforcement officers in Georgia
- Reciprocal agreements on occupational licensing rules with other states and foreign nations.
- “Relaxing” state law that requires immigration verification of applicants for occupational and professional licensing.
- Lower tuition rates in public colleges for illegal aliens living in Georgia with DACA status than the rate Americans and legal immigrants fro other states pay.
- Removing the existing 12 month residency waiting period before new Georgia residents can access instate tuition in public colleges for refugees – but not for Americans moving here from other states.
- Reducing the educational period to become a medical doctor by two years, student loan forgiveness for foreign medical students and “relaxing the immigration issues for foreign medical graduates.”
- Creating a new state bureaucracy to accommodate “an office or a division of cultural and linguistic responsiveness.”
I lost track of the number of times “…the number one state for business” was tossed out.
I covered the meetings extensively here.
Related: Where do refugees resettle in the U.S.?
Related: The Libertarian Cato Institute is pushing the “school choice” concept in Cantrell’s HB 99 & HB 60 (see Corey DeAngelis). What is the Cato Institute and what else do they push? Open borders, that’s what. Bonus info: The liberal AJC on open borders.
No public comment allowed on HB 60 committee substitute in the House Education Committee – at Rep Cantrell’s request.